The Advent Window displays will be coming down now. Hopefully you will have collected all the letters. Submissions for the prizes/competition will remain open until Sunday 10th January 2021.
Christmas is going to be a bit different this year. We won’t be able to go caroling in big groups on our streets, or enjoy a Christmas Market at school or church. So we have decided to give you a way of anticipating Christmas that will fit with your daily household exercise time!
The 167th Scout Group and Westbury-on-Trym Baptist Church are organising an Advent Calendar with a difference.
For Cub Scouts, this could help them complete two elements of the Our World challenge badge.
- For cubs who don’t normally go to church: Find out about a faith or culture other than your own – you could learn about the Advent and Christmas aspect of Christian Faith
- For all cubs, by opening these Advent Windows, you will take a part in an act of worship, reflection or celebration with other (Cub) Scouts. Albeit at a distance due to covid restrictions.
For everyone else in the Westbury-on-Trym area, we hope this will add some interest and a seasonal purpose to your household’s daily exercise (walking).
The Westbury Advent Window Trail
Each day of advent, a house in the Westbury-on-Trym area will reveal an Advent Window.
This will be a hand crafted advent poster alongside a QR Code
and a Letter-of-the-Day.
When you scan the QR code at each Advent Window you will be lead across to a daily question, comment, video, reflection, craft etc. – different each day.
Map of Advent Windows
This map will show you which streets have Advent Window posters but it won’t pinpoint them exactly – you will seek them out; go treasure hunting! Advent Windows will be added to the map each day.
The newest marker will have its description visible. Click on the other markers to see their descriptions.
Remember the Letter of the Day
Each Advent Day we reveal one letter. When you visit the Window, somewhere around Westbury-n-Trym, you will see that the QR code poster has a letter. Collect all 24 letters and rearrange them in to a four letter phrase. If you submit the phrase here, you will enter a prize draw. Submissions close on Sunday 10th January 2021.
Here is a clue to get you started:
_ _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ !
Entries for the competition have now closed.
Be Covid Safe
- Follow current Government Covid Guidance
- We are not organising a gathering so it is important that it doesn’t look like one
- If, as you approach, you see another family enjoying an Advent Window, hold back well over 2 metres away and wait for them to leave the area
- Do not touch anything in the vicinity of the Advent Window